More visitors from more countries – and more for them to see
Following the key principles of content, contacts and visitor experience, DSEI 2011 offered more seminars, more networking opportunities and better feature areas than ever. With new focus areas and a vastly increased seminar and demonstration programme, DSEI 2011’s content reflected increasing global concern with a broad spectrum of threats, from cyber attacks to piracy. The traditional dimensions of land and sea were complemented by increased air capabilities and a large security dimension.
Some of the key features at DSEI 2011 included:
- Air Static Displays including - Lockheed Martin – JSF, Zephyr – QinetiQ, AgustaWestland - AW159 Lynx Wildcat
- The UK Capability Showcase included the best of British from a range of defence and security suppliers
- Waterborne Demonstrations on the littoral environment, anti-piracy and anti-boarding systems, sonar diver detection and agility and capability demonstrations of Unmanned Surface Vehicles (USVs) and Interceptor craft
- The security zone consisted of a seminar theatre encompassing strategic presentations, thought provoking panel debates and informative product reviews, focusing on security.
Visiting Naval Ships at DSEI 2011 included:
- FGS BRAUNSCHWEIG K130 Class Corvette
- HNLMS SNELLIUS
- HMS DAUNTLESS
- HMS TYNE
- HNoMS Storm
Unmanned Theatre & Demonstrations
The purpose of the demonstrations was to show, in an active and exciting format, how unmanned systems work together, enhancing the mission effectiveness of current operations. All seven scenarios were set around a foot patrol in Afghanistan, and consisted of dawn reconnaissance, vehicle checkpoints and arrest, IED detection and disposal, surveillance and overwatch, compound clearance, medical evacuation and perimeter security.
Demonstration participants included: Allen Vanguard, BDB, Marshall, Northrop Grumman, QinetiQ, Recon Robotics and Selex Galileo.
This ran alongside the Unmanned Theatre, which gave theory to the practical with a full programme of strategic and thought provoking presentations.